Church History

History of Our Church

Sanctuary Side_ViewFirst built in 1854 on the corner of Church and Bank Streets, the First Presbyterian Church was destroyed by the Union Army in 1864.  From 1865-1870 the scattered flock of Presbyterians who returned to Decatur after the war worshipped with the Methodists in a log cabin across the street from the original building.

 

In 1873 a small frame church with a coal shed built on back and a bell in the yard was erected on the corner of Oak and Vine Streets.  Services were conducted on alternate Sundays by a school administrator and a Baptist preacher.  The City of Decatur suffered two outbreaks of yellow fever in 1878 and 1888, causing people to again flee Decatur.

 

The Church was incorporated as the  Presbyterian Church of Decatur in 1903, and a new octagonal structure was completed and dedicated free of debt in 1904.  In 1953 the new Georgia style sanctuary we see today was completed.

 

© 2017 First Presbyterian Church
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community